KDRAMAGUK : Korean Drama Soup

a landing site for quick, completely biased, and totally snarky korean drama reviews

Search

Monday, January 25, 2010

My Love Patzzi (2002)


















My Love Patzzi
 내 사랑 팥쥐
(Aug – Sept 2002)


who’s in it
Kim RaeWon (Attic Cat, The Grand Chef)
Jang NaRa (School 2013)
Kim JaeWon (100 Days With Mr. Arrogant - film, Hwang Jini)
Hong Eun Hee


what’s it about
A feisty, loud-mouthed girl lands a job at an amusement park dressing up as cute (or creepy) over-sized animals (depending on your views regarding such things) and simultaneously lands the affections of the local seal trainer and the amusment park owner’s son. Not jealous at all? Well, let me put it another way: lands the affections of Kim RaeWon and Kim JaeWon. There you go. You’re not the only one jealous, though, cuz she’s got a vixen disguised as her best friend.

commitment
10 Eps

network
MBC

wildcard factor
A skinny 10 episoder with a zippy plot…some might say a thin plot, I say just enough of one to make this one an amusing diversion.

after the first episode
I liked Jang Nara in this, she was plucky and likable, and I could see why all the boys at the kiddie park thought she was rad. I wasn’t completely sold on Kim JaeWon as the rich-but-heart-of-gold heir to the fun park fortune, but that might be because he’ll always be Daffy #2 in my eyes (there are five Daffys in the KDrama world for me, it’s a long story and not necessarily a bad thing). I kept wondering if he was supposed to be guy #1 or guy #2. Who was Jang Nara going to pick? The outcome was vague enough to keep things interesting.

gave up

snoozer moments
The drama was perfectly so short, there wasn’t much time to think about even a passing yawn. There should be more 10 episode dramas…certainly I could think of a few off the top of my head that would have benefited from a cut of a few episodes here and there.

soju-guzzling
This was a summer drama…lots of sunshine and happiness.  And it took place at an amusement park…sooooo, not many booze hounds or mental breakdowns there. Scratch that, I guess amusement parks are actually the most perfect place for people to booze up and break down?

what didn’t work
The requisite villian-girl tended to feel one-dimensional.

what did
Jang Nara

what made me want to gouge my eyes out
Nothing really

what kept me going
Who was she going to pick!? Kim RaeWon! Kim RaeWon!
______________________________

Other factors:
predictability Seriously, who was she going to pick!?
engrish No
originality Kinda…
eye-candy Kim RaeWon looked mighty fine.
hair and fashion It was whatever
______________________________

is it worth trying to find?
Oh, I think so, yes.

total enjoyment factor
9/10

total disdain factor

why this review is completely biased
I’m rather partial to these sort of kdramas that are more fun and lighthearted, and I don’t always mind the lack of brain-activity needed to appreciate them if something else compensates for the lack of story, such as an overabundance of cute. And I like Kim RaeWon. Who doesn’t?

could a non-kdrama fan like this
Iffy…but I will go with a wavering “probably not.”

verdict
I really loved it. There’s not very much to dislike unless you are one of those people who have bigtentphobia, you know, the fear of children, amusement parks and seal trainers. Yes, I made that up. In all seriousness, here’s a good one to watch if you just want a short latte and don’t feel in the mood for all that melodrama junk. Like I mentioned above, ten episodes, people! Not too long. Not too short. Just perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Jerk-Free Zone: this is a site for friendly debate, please be respectful and courteous to others. Comments that violate that spirit will be removed. This will be strictly enforced. Thank you.

Recent Posts

A Year End Review
KDramaGuk’s
Biased & Worst of 2013

Badasses & Bromances

First Impressions
Let’s Eat (2014)
식샤를 합시다
(Nov 2013 – Mar 2014)

Recommendation
JTBC, Monday -Tuesday
Aired May- July 2013

Diary
Marry Me Yoo AhIn!
Dramas and drama-ish show I talk about after the jump: WINMaster’s Sun and Good Doctor.

Diary
The Girl Who Cried Wolf
Dramas I talk about after the jump: Master’s Sun (eps 11-12). If you haven’t watched Master’s Sun yet, don’t read on. Major ass spoilers ahead...because major ass things went down!

Diary
Funny Mathematics
Master’s Sun (eps 9 & 10) is the only drama I chat about after the jump. But I am pretty sure I am going to start Good Doctor this week.

Review
Heartless City (2013)
무정도시 / Cruel City
(May – July 2013)


Diary
Crossing Imaginary Lines
Dramas I will spoil after the jump: Master’s Sun (Eps 7-8). I am still watching Who Are You, but I have little to say on it, other than Kim JaeWook continues to be a handsome spectral figure. Oh, and I had to officially drop Goddess of Fire.

Diary
JiSub OPPA!
More fangirling over JiSub and HyoJin after the jump, and Master’s Sun (Episode 5 and 6) will be the only drama I yap about and spoil. It was the only one I managed to watch this week.

Review
I Can Hear Your Voice (2013)
너의 목소리가 들려
(Jun – Jul 2013)


Diary
Bright Bright Taeyang
Dramas I will talk about and spoil after the  jump: Master’s Sun (until Ep 4). And some more thoughts on The Blade and the Petal (up to Ep6), and Who Are You (up to Ep6). And also, the craziest thing I saw this weekend: Kim WooBin fighting killer female robots.