KDRAMAGUK : Korean Drama Soup

a landing site for quick, completely biased, and totally snarky korean drama reviews

Search

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Goong (2006)



















Goong
궁 / Princess Hours
(Jan – Mar 2006)


who’s in it
Yoon EunHye (Take Care of My LadyCoffee Prince)
Joo JiHoon (Antique Bakery – film)
Kim JeongHoon
Song JiHyo

what's it about
Drawing obvious parallels with England, including frequent references to the torrid tabloid scandals that concerned Prince Charles, Camilla and Princess Diana before the latter’s tragic car accident and death, Goong cheerfully speculates an alternate version of history where the Republic of Korea is a constitutional monarchy and has maintained a figurehead sovereignty instead of adopting a purely presidential system of government.

When the reigning king begins to suffer in health, the elders make the sudden decision to wed off the crowned prince, Joo JiHoon, to solidify his status as the heir-apparent despite his still being in high school. There’s a problem though and it’s called a (let’s sing it together now) secret lover, that’s what we are...our little stuck-up prince has a real amour in his life and doesn’t take a shine to the girl chosen for him by the old people who want to dictate his every move in life. Apparently, the previous king (his late grandfather) had betrothed the crowned prince to a commoner’s granddaughter a long time ago, Yoon EunHye, a goofy art student who turns out to be his classmate at the very art institute he currently attends.

Throw into the hotpot of fun 1) extra meat: the sensitive exiled prince with emoting hair and his vindictive mother who wants her son on the throne and, 2) raw garlic: the abandoned ballerina who was the crowned prince’s secret first love, one that decides she needs to get her stud back. Now we got ourselves some salacious tomfoolery of the royal stew variety.

commitment 
24 episodes

network
MBC

wildcard factor
Yoon EunHye – the singer turned actress does a really fine job here, to my surprise. She’s natural and funny as the hopeless school girl who crashed the royal party.

after the first episode
I liked it but I wasn’t sure if it would continue to impress. The concept was fun…but I was concerned about how far the novelty of this alternate world would carry before the story thinned and became too silly.

gave up

snoozer moments
I occasionally found the political intrigues on the dull side…but I’ve never been a massive fan of historical dramas in general so that is my own quirk.

soju-guzzling
Nope

what didn’t work
It just did, it all worked quite masterfully.

what did
The mother of the exiled prince was a great foe. I liked her because she was complicated. She was a woman with a past and her actions were dictated by her own demons and they felt very true to her character. She was scary as hell and a big raging meanie, but she wasn’t just a plot device, she was a person.

what made me want to gouge my eyes out
Off the top of my head, I can’t really say I hated anything that much about this drama.

what kept me going

Yoon EunHye.
______________________________

Other factors:
predictability Yes
engrish Yes
originality Yes
eye-candy I personally didn’t find much eye-candy to enjoy
hair and fashion The costuming was truly beautiful. The traditional fare was of course grand and extravagant, as one would expect, but I especially loved the many variations of the hanbok integrated into Yoon EunHye’s contemporary wardrobe throughout the show.
______________________________

is it worth trying to find?
Absolutely

total enjoyment factor 
10/10

total disdain factor

why this review is completely biased
This is fairly objective for me. I didn’t go into it favoring any of the actors involved, in fact, the opposite. I was never a fangirl victim to Joo JiHoon’s supposed charms (my lack of favor for him has nothing to do with his recent drug scandals, which being on this side of the world, celebrities smoking weed is kinda par for the course), but I thought he did a good job here. I think Yoon EunHye was perfect for this drama, but I would hardly call myself a great fan of hers, though I did like her in The Vineyard Man and Coffee Prince – so maybe I am a closet Yoon EunHye fan?

could a non-kdrama fan like this
Hard to say…I’m going to go with yes, but only for those of the feminine persuasion.

verdict
There are lot of similarities between this one and the uber successful Boys Over Flowers that aired a few years later, including but not limited to the idea of a earnest ‘commoner’ warming the icy-heart of a ‘prince’ while the soft-spoken and wounded third-wheel hottie pines for the heroine, although never to stand a chance with her. The same actress even plays the mother to both Yoon EunHye and Goo HyeSun's characters. Despite the similarities, however, as the episodes progress in both dramas, Goong provides a more compelling argument as to why it will remain the premier example of the Cinderella kdrama, not Boys. It was just that well-done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Jerk-Free Zone: this is a site for friendly debate, please be respectful and courteous to others. Comments that violate that spirit will be removed. This will be strictly enforced. Thank you.

Recent Posts

A Year End Review
KDramaGuk’s
Biased & Worst of 2013

Badasses & Bromances

First Impressions
Let’s Eat (2014)
식샤를 합시다
(Nov 2013 – Mar 2014)

Recommendation
JTBC, Monday -Tuesday
Aired May- July 2013

Diary
Marry Me Yoo AhIn!
Dramas and drama-ish show I talk about after the jump: WINMaster’s Sun and Good Doctor.

Diary
The Girl Who Cried Wolf
Dramas I talk about after the jump: Master’s Sun (eps 11-12). If you haven’t watched Master’s Sun yet, don’t read on. Major ass spoilers ahead...because major ass things went down!

Diary
Funny Mathematics
Master’s Sun (eps 9 & 10) is the only drama I chat about after the jump. But I am pretty sure I am going to start Good Doctor this week.

Review
Heartless City (2013)
무정도시 / Cruel City
(May – July 2013)


Diary
Crossing Imaginary Lines
Dramas I will spoil after the jump: Master’s Sun (Eps 7-8). I am still watching Who Are You, but I have little to say on it, other than Kim JaeWook continues to be a handsome spectral figure. Oh, and I had to officially drop Goddess of Fire.

Diary
JiSub OPPA!
More fangirling over JiSub and HyoJin after the jump, and Master’s Sun (Episode 5 and 6) will be the only drama I yap about and spoil. It was the only one I managed to watch this week.

Review
I Can Hear Your Voice (2013)
너의 목소리가 들려
(Jun – Jul 2013)


Diary
Bright Bright Taeyang
Dramas I will talk about and spoil after the  jump: Master’s Sun (until Ep 4). And some more thoughts on The Blade and the Petal (up to Ep6), and Who Are You (up to Ep6). And also, the craziest thing I saw this weekend: Kim WooBin fighting killer female robots.