KDRAMAGUK : Korean Drama Soup

a landing site for quick, completely biased, and totally snarky korean drama reviews

Search

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Someday (2006)
















Someday
썸데이
(Nov – Dec 2006)


who’s in it
Bae DooNa (Take Care of My Cat – film, The Host – film)
Lee JinWook (Powerful Opponents, Air City)
Kim MinJoon (Friend Our Legend, Damo)
Oh YoonAh (Kingdom of the Winds, God of Study)

what’s it about
A shy manga artist and an errand-boy-for-hire, both with their own tragic pasts, meet under the strange circumstance of trying to solve the mystery of someone else’s sad love story.

commitment 
16 Episodes

network
OCN

wildcard factor
This was a quiet, sensitive drama that doesn’t try for humor, but only aimed to tell a story about people. It was really about loneliness and trying to find a way to survive in the type of black hole that can live within us all. I thought this kind of character study was lovely and refreshing, but others may just interpret this kind of sobriety in a kdrama to be boring. No slapstick and no flashy action sequences, just plain ol’ storytelling.

after the first episode
What else has Lee JinWook been in? He’s pretty great.


gave up

snoozer moments
Hmmm…I’m still thinking…

soju-guzzling
A little of it. There was a bit of darkness in this one. Not cancer-type darkness, just a drizzle of constant gloom, like winter in Seattle.

what didn’t work
What little faults it did have were outweighed by all else it did so well.

what did
It was a little artsy and the high production values were obvious. It felt more like a long, independent movie than a romantic dramedy soap opera.

what made me want to gouge my eyes out
n/a

what kept me going

The characters. Both Bae DooNa and Lee JinWook played damaged characters that connected with one another. Both actors were able to convey that awkward and hesitant process of opening up for the first time and learning to love someone else in a way that was both funny but poignant.
______________________________

Other factors:
predictability No
engrish No
originality Yes
eye-candy Yes
hair and fashion It was fine.
______________________________

is it worth trying to find?
Yes, if you are able to get your hands on it.

total enjoyment factor 
10/10

total disdain factor

why this review is completely biased
I love Bae DooNa, but more than that, I love sweet stories about sad but good people who deserve happiness and get it.

could a non-kdrama fan like this
Yes. I think Someday could even be accessible to western audiences that have zero to very little exposure to kdramas or the Korean culture because it wasn’t designed with the usual kdrama clichés or exaggerated behaviors that those unfamiliar with the Korean way of life may find difficult to relate to or understand. Someday was about the need to connect to other people, and really, who doesn’t know what that feels like?

verdict
Higher level of production values than most kdramas, it was a very impressive end product. This is what one would call a sleeper hit. And I use the term “hit” loosely. I don’t think many have seen it and that’s tragic because as soon as I saw it, it instantly became one of my favorites. Bae DoonNa is as always stellar but she was especially wonderful with Lee JinWook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Jerk-Free Zone: this is a site for friendly debate, please be respectful and courteous to others. Comments that violate that spirit will be removed. This will be strictly enforced. Thank you.

Recent Posts

A Year End Review
KDramaGuk’s
Biased & Worst of 2013

Badasses & Bromances

First Impressions
Let’s Eat (2014)
식샤를 합시다
(Nov 2013 – Mar 2014)

Recommendation
JTBC, Monday -Tuesday
Aired May- July 2013

Diary
Marry Me Yoo AhIn!
Dramas and drama-ish show I talk about after the jump: WINMaster’s Sun and Good Doctor.

Diary
The Girl Who Cried Wolf
Dramas I talk about after the jump: Master’s Sun (eps 11-12). If you haven’t watched Master’s Sun yet, don’t read on. Major ass spoilers ahead...because major ass things went down!

Diary
Funny Mathematics
Master’s Sun (eps 9 & 10) is the only drama I chat about after the jump. But I am pretty sure I am going to start Good Doctor this week.

Review
Heartless City (2013)
무정도시 / Cruel City
(May – July 2013)


Diary
Crossing Imaginary Lines
Dramas I will spoil after the jump: Master’s Sun (Eps 7-8). I am still watching Who Are You, but I have little to say on it, other than Kim JaeWook continues to be a handsome spectral figure. Oh, and I had to officially drop Goddess of Fire.

Diary
JiSub OPPA!
More fangirling over JiSub and HyoJin after the jump, and Master’s Sun (Episode 5 and 6) will be the only drama I yap about and spoil. It was the only one I managed to watch this week.

Review
I Can Hear Your Voice (2013)
너의 목소리가 들려
(Jun – Jul 2013)


Diary
Bright Bright Taeyang
Dramas I will talk about and spoil after the  jump: Master’s Sun (until Ep 4). And some more thoughts on The Blade and the Petal (up to Ep6), and Who Are You (up to Ep6). And also, the craziest thing I saw this weekend: Kim WooBin fighting killer female robots.