KDRAMAGUK : Korean Drama Soup

a landing site for quick, completely biased, and totally snarky korean drama reviews

Search

Monday, February 8, 2010

Sweet Spy (2006)















Sweet Spy
달콤한스파이
(Nov 2005 – Jan 2006)


who’s in it
Dennis O’Neil (Witch Yoo Hee, East of Eden)
Nam SangMi (The Grand Chef)
Lee JooHyun (Hello Franceska)
Yoo Sun (Sons of Sol Pharmacy, Terroir)

what’s it about
Nam SangMi is a hapless female police officer who spends most of her time handing out traffic tickets. Dennis Oh (O’Neil) is an international spy. Uh-huh. Anyway, think of the most preposterous plotline you’ve ever seen and multiply it by ten thousand and you’ll have the painfully frayed yarn of Sweet Spy. I could give a summary but that would be a waste of time because not only does it not make any sense, it’s not relevant to anything. All you need to know about this drama is Dennis O’Neil and the fact that he is extremely attractive.

commitment 
20 episodes

network
MBC

wildcard factor
Dennis O’Neil’s good-looks v Dennis O’Neil’s acting.

after the first episode
Excruciating…but wow is that Dennis O’Neil one good-looking half-Caucasian/half-Korean specimen. And I thought Daniel Henney was decent looking. Dennis O’Neil is outta the ballpark!

gave up

snoozer moments
It’s not boring so much as just baaaaaaaaaad, I mean, really, really bad

soju-guzzling
Oh you will...

what didn’t work
Too much

what did
n/a

what made me want to gouge my eyes out
So very much...I couldn’t even put it into words. But mostly probably all the bad acting.

what kept me going

I’m apparently a completely and utterly shallow individual…Dennis O’Neil is a really well-designed human being and I liked watching him prance around on my screen. That was all it took to keep me coming back for more torment.
______________________________

Other factors:
predictability No. Since the purpose of the drama was slippery and it lacked any coherency, it has to be said that it was indeed completely unpredictable.
engrish Good English, bad English…all kinds of English really. There was a lot of English. Too much English for...a kdrama.
originality I guess being completely nonsensical could make it original in a way...
eye-candy Yes. Really the only thing it had going for it. Goodness, what a lucky break for the show that it was such an amazing piece of ass *cough* candy. Excuse me, I got a little R-rated there.
hair and fashion Well, I guess the cast all dressed well. I’ll give them that.
______________________________

is it worth trying to find?
Go ahead and google Dennis O’Neil (Dennis Oh) and scroll through his pictures. If you think his face could comfort you through a blizzard, I say go for it.

total enjoyment factor 
4/10
Why even that much? Well, I did watch it all…sort of. There must have been some enjoyable moments…I can’t recall them right now without a picture of Dennis O’Neil to jog my memory, but there must have been something.

total disdain factor
Mostly disdain for myself for having enjoyed it even a little, which I must admit, I did. For some reason, I just could not stop watching it. A part of me suspects this review is totally unfair and I’m just lying to myself because despite all its many blinding faults, I kinda secretly adored it. Didn’t I? So how can I be so mean to it? I mean, forgawdsakes, not only did I finish it (when so many others I don’t), but it actually was kinda ridiculously amusing.

With this one paragraph, I’ve undone everything else I wrote about Spy and have become a hypocrite.

why this review is completely biased
Fun fact about me: I actually really dislike dramas that have characters communicating with one another in different languages. Dennis O’Neil spent the whole time speaking English and Nam SangMi chattered at him in Korean and somehow they began to understand each other perfectly. I just hate that whole ‘I can’t speak the language myself but I can understand someone else speaking it to me perfectly’ bit of bull. I have not met a single person in real life who cannot themselves speak a language they can understand fluently. One is not fluent if one cannot converse in it. One cannot read if they cannot write the alphabet.

It’s a not so good drama. I did finish it, but I’ll be honest, it was because I saw it as a DVD set. I turned on the subtitles and fast-forwarded 2x and read most of the dialogue. If I’d watched this airing week by week, there’s just no way I would have passed the second episode.

Apparently this drama actually performed well in the ratings and was a success when it aired in Korea. Serously, am I the crazy one or is everyone else?

could a non-kdrama fan like this
No

verdict
If there are passionate Sweet Spy fans out there who want to argue that this was a well-made drama, I invite their opinions though it will not change mine. I won’t argue if you tell me that Dennis O’Neil is a beautiful man nor will I disagree there was something addicting about Spy’s nonsense. I could happily watch Dennis O’Neil over and over in many more crappy dramas to come, that’s how attractive he is, but it would be a monumental act of denial to say Sweet Spy was a good show. And lying to oneself (or anyone else) never works out well in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Jerk-Free Zone: this is a site for friendly debate, please be respectful and courteous to others. Comments that violate that spirit will be removed. This will be strictly enforced. Thank you.

Recent Posts

A Year End Review
KDramaGuk’s
Biased & Worst of 2013

Badasses & Bromances

First Impressions
Let’s Eat (2014)
식샤를 합시다
(Nov 2013 – Mar 2014)

Recommendation
JTBC, Monday -Tuesday
Aired May- July 2013

Diary
Marry Me Yoo AhIn!
Dramas and drama-ish show I talk about after the jump: WINMaster’s Sun and Good Doctor.

Diary
The Girl Who Cried Wolf
Dramas I talk about after the jump: Master’s Sun (eps 11-12). If you haven’t watched Master’s Sun yet, don’t read on. Major ass spoilers ahead...because major ass things went down!

Diary
Funny Mathematics
Master’s Sun (eps 9 & 10) is the only drama I chat about after the jump. But I am pretty sure I am going to start Good Doctor this week.

Review
Heartless City (2013)
무정도시 / Cruel City
(May – July 2013)


Diary
Crossing Imaginary Lines
Dramas I will spoil after the jump: Master’s Sun (Eps 7-8). I am still watching Who Are You, but I have little to say on it, other than Kim JaeWook continues to be a handsome spectral figure. Oh, and I had to officially drop Goddess of Fire.

Diary
JiSub OPPA!
More fangirling over JiSub and HyoJin after the jump, and Master’s Sun (Episode 5 and 6) will be the only drama I yap about and spoil. It was the only one I managed to watch this week.

Review
I Can Hear Your Voice (2013)
너의 목소리가 들려
(Jun – Jul 2013)


Diary
Bright Bright Taeyang
Dramas I will talk about and spoil after the  jump: Master’s Sun (until Ep 4). And some more thoughts on The Blade and the Petal (up to Ep6), and Who Are You (up to Ep6). And also, the craziest thing I saw this weekend: Kim WooBin fighting killer female robots.